First x stitch

General chit chat forum

First x stitch

Postby Danielle 31 » Fri May 19, 2017 10:46 pm

I have bought my niece a my first cross stitch kit,shes 3 nearly 4 couldn't resist it. Cannot wait till she's a bit older to get her started. What ages has children you know started showing an interest. Thought I'd show you a pic of them both.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Danielle 31

Re: First x stitch

Postby bron1974 » Fri May 19, 2017 11:33 pm

What beautiful smiles on their faces Danielle xx my dd has 'designed' her own shopkins cross stitch piece she is working on and she is 8.
bron1974

Postby frog1987 » Sat May 20, 2017 8:13 am

They are both absolutely gorgeous.

This is an interesting question as I have been asked to go into nursery to run a session on cross stitch or crochet. It's for the class aged 3 to 5. I personally think they are too young. Crochet would be too difficult to teach but cross stitch might be ok with plastic needles, plastic canvas or binca aida and maybe even wool instead of thread.
Cheryl

craftyblogger30.wordpress.com/
frog1987

Postby Sylvana » Sat May 20, 2017 1:22 pm

What a cute Children Daniëlle.
If children show interest in stitching when they see someone stitching then you could buy a mouseloft kit very easy to stitch and special for children.
I began to stitch at 29 years old, a friend of mine on my work learned me stitching. My first project was a smell bag.
So never to old or young to learn.
I see that you manage it to place a photo, my compliments. :)
Have a nice weekend.
Sylvana

Postby Danielle 31 » Sat May 20, 2017 10:31 pm

Ella is the double of me when I was her age, everyone thinks I'm her mum but I'm only her aunty and Kai who's 10months takes after my bro. Ella loves looking at my x stitch and we made a stuffed minion and she loved attempting to sew him up. I might just show her the kit to see if she wants to have a go, more than likely she will want to play with her uncle. Thank you all for all replies xxx ;)
Danielle 31

Postby sindy » Sat May 20, 2017 10:34 pm

how cute are they, sorry I can't answer your questions as I don't have children but they are many people who will know more than me
sindy

Postby Danielle 31 » Sat May 20, 2017 10:37 pm

Thanks I don't have kids either have to settle for being no1 aunty I hope. ;)
Danielle 31

Postby Stella59 » Sun May 21, 2017 1:05 am

Beautiful photos, teach them once they start taking an interest, :D
Stella
Stella59

Postby xstitchderdee » Sun May 21, 2017 9:11 am

Such beautiful little girls. I don't know if you still get this but when my daughter was small you could buy a cross stitch kit that used to have "plastic" needles with thin wool and it used to be for the ages 3 up. I would think that you could teach them from around 4 years old. I know my granddaughter was only 3 when you was threading buttons and beads onto string so sure she would have been able to do a cross stitch as well.

I was only 6 when I crocheted my first doll's blanket which I still have somewhere. I think crocheting is more difficult to learn than cross stitching.
xstitchderdee

Postby Danielle 31 » Sun May 21, 2017 10:22 pm

I would love to learn how to crochet, the kit you mentioned is similar to what I have bought her with a plastic needle. We're having her for the day on Tuesday so will see if she wants to give it ago fingers crossed. Thanks for all your replies. Think Kai is deffo to young lol he's more likely to try and eat it. ;)
Danielle 31

Postby Danielle 31 » Wed May 24, 2017 10:44 pm

Hi all had Ella yesterday, didn't get round to showing her the cs kit, but what she did find was my big work box full of beads buttons threads etc...she thought it was great and wanted to make something with them. So we made a bracelet with her name on and jingly bells and flower beads you name it she wanted it on her bracelet, I think she just liked threading all these things on lol. Then after she finished she wanted her uncle Lee to wear it looks great round his hairy arms ;) .she loves to share and everyone to have a turn. But I think at least it was something crafty we did together and it used thread and needles, even if it's not what I had in mind and she loved doing it and it's all that matters. Im determind i will get her csing one day soon .
Danielle 31

Postby Danielle 31 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:19 pm

Hi thought I would keep you informed of my attempts to teach cross stitch to my niece. Had her last week, and showed her own cross stitch kit so she could be like her auntie Danni, she loved it was over the moon her reaction was really dramatic, little drama queen lol ;). Will post her pic of her effort, not much but it's a step in the right direction couldn't be more proud of her she was happy thats all that matters because she could stitch (her words) will try and get her to do more each time we have her. Will miss her soon because she starts school in September won't see so much of her :( it's supposed to be the bone for the dog.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Danielle 31

Postby bron1974 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:42 pm

Your niece has made a lovely start Danielle xx
bron1974

Postby Danielle 31 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:27 pm

Thanks bron xxxx :)
Danielle 31

Return to General Chit Chat