Husband of a cross stitcher Need help on surprise b-day gift

General chit chat forum

Husband of a cross stitcher Need help on surprise b-day gift

Postby Warrenz » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:10 am

Hi everyone,
I need help!!! My wife B-day is next month and I'm lost! I want to build her a chair for cross stitching. My wife is 32 years old and she suffers from rheumatoid arthritis, bulging disc in neck/back, and migraines. When we first got married @16 years old she could cross stitch for about 2/3 hours & it gave her so much joy. Over the years I've noticed that after 5/10 minutes her pain is to bad to continue. Well last night she was in her sewing room and I heard her crying when I went in she told me that she couldn't even sit in her chair long enough to thread the needle. (We have been through countless chairs) and she was going to just give up cross stitching. With a broken heart I help her to bed and swore I was going to build her a chair! I want this chair to have everything she could need. But have no idea what that is ( my wife has tried to explain cross stitching to me but when explains it. It's like she's speaking a different language) I know I'm going to add a light to the chair but that's a far as I've gotten. Any suggestions on what else she need would be very appreciated. I will not let my wife stop doing what she loves if I can help it! Sorry for the long post.
Thanks so much.
Warrenz

Re: Husband of a cross stitcher Need help on surprise b-day

Postby snavenasus » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:28 am

I have osteo arthritis and also problems with my discs and although not nearly as bad as your wife but some days I so have difficulty sitting on some chairs. I have very little problems sitting in a recliner, generally with just my legs up but there are days when I have to recline the back a little to take the pressure of my spine. I have a floor standing magnifying lamp at the side of my chair and use a seat stand so my hands are free to stitch. I have a small table on one side of the chair and a little chest of drawers at the other side so most things are at my finger tips including the tv remote. ;)
ImageImageImage
snavenasus

Postby Witch with a B » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:30 am

Morning

First of all I would like to tell you that you are a wonderful husband on wanting to do this for your wife. Arthritis is a terrible condition to live with, what ever kind of arthritis it is. I know some of what you feel as my eldest daughter also suffers with Psoriatic Arthritis and she is only 31! There are days when she struggles to even pick up a pen, and has lost count of the plates broken due to her dropping them.

When it comes to what would be needed with a chair, you know your wife's needs as to her comfort etc but I would imagine that having what's required close to hand would be an emormous help. So based on what I'd like, a light as you've mentioned, maybe a magnifying glass, for maybe hard to see/distinguish symbols and working on finer count fabrics. Some sort of storage facility for scissors, needles, pin cushion, tape measure, needle minders, needle threaders etc.

You can tell I'm looking at my own stand and seeing what I use :)

Does your wife use a stand? If so it would need to be as close as possible and comfortable. Could one be attached to a chair that could be moveable to bring in front of her and moved away when finished? Something to hold the chart could also be really useful.

Good luck with your project. If there is anything else you'd like advice/help with, there are plenty of like minded people on this site and will always try to help where and when ever possible.
Witch with a B

Postby Danielle 31 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:16 pm

Just want to echo what everyone has said, I too suffer from Rheumatoid Arthritis in every joint in my body it's a dreadful disease I to am only young I'm 31 I too use a recliner,have pillows under my legs arms, my back. I have everything to hand I use a music sheet stand to hold my charts my hubby bought it for me and you can adjust it to any height she would like also you can clip a light magnifier to it to. I think I'm finding it very useful. You sound like a brilliant husband just like my own is, trying to make our life s a bit easier. If your wife ever needs to talk to someone who understands I'm here. I also have joined a Facebook support group for RA and they are brilliant they understand exactly how we feel cos they are going through the same thing you get quite a few ideas how to try and make our lives easier. I think it's brilliant what you are doing xxxx
Danielle 31

Postby Warrenz » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:09 am

Thank you for yalls responses. I'm am very sorry to hear that so many of y'all suffer with arthritis. I am definitely going to attach a stand to the chair for
her and using a music sheet stand to hold her chart is absolutely brilliant. I think that I'm going to take my wife to the store and we're going to do another chair "testing" so I can get a good idea of what type of recliner would be best.
I Will definitely let my wife know about Facebook RA group. I think it would be a great thing for her because while I can be her shoulder to cry on and learn as much as I can about RA I will never Truly understand her pain as I don't suffer from it. When I'm finished with her chair I sure it's going to look like something from an inspector gadget movie I will post pictures, instructions, material I used on my wife's chair that way if anyone else needs/ wants to build one they can. All of you ladies are awesome. I appreciate it more than you ever know
Seeing my wife smile is worth more to me than any amount of money
Warrenz

Postby xstitchderdee » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:15 am

What a wonderful husband you are to think of your wife's needs as to what will make her most comfortable.

The ladies here have given you lots of good tips as to what you will need for her chair.
xstitchderdee

Postby Danielle 31 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:44 pm

Warrenz wrote:Thank you for yalls responses. I'm am very sorry to hear that so many of y'all suffer with arthritis. I am definitely going to attach a stand to the chair for
her and using a music sheet stand to hold her chart is absolutely brilliant. I think that I'm going to take my wife to the store and we're going to do another chair "testing" so I can get a good idea of what type of recliner would be best.
I Will definitely let my wife know about Facebook RA group. I think it would be a great thing for her because while I can be her shoulder to cry on and learn as much as I can about RA I will never Truly understand her pain as I don't suffer from it. When I'm finished with her chair I sure it's going to look like something from an inspector gadget movie I will post pictures, instructions, material I used on my wife's chair that way if anyone else needs/ wants to build one they can. All of you ladies are awesome. I appreciate it more than you ever know
Seeing my wife smile is worth more to me than any amount of money

I have only just found the RA group in the last week or so, never knew anybody that has it. I always felt so alone, I was really surprised how it made me feel that we are all going through the same thing we all understand. If she wants to message me or via Facebook just pm on here then will give it to her or you. The group for the RA is Rheumatoid Arthritis UK support group. They are all really welcoming. Xx :) The ladies on this forum are amazing too for listening xx :)
Danielle 31

Postby Warrenz » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:07 pm

I found this over the bed table and was thinking about attaching it to the chair for storage and it has a lamp, and USB charging on it. Do y'all think it would be enough storage and should I leave it on the it's stand or attach to chair? What power magnifying glass should I buy?
Warrenz

Postby Warrenz » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:14 pm

/postimg org/gallery/ 1f14b96mi
Warrenz

Postby Danielle 31 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:48 pm

Can't see your pic. But that sounds great. Xx
Danielle 31

Postby snavenasus » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:49 am

I'd be careful attaching too much stuff to the chair as it could become too cluttered and not easy to get in an out of. I personally would prefer to have everything at easy access to where I'm sitting. My recliner has wide arms so I can use them like side tables, I have my laptop on one arm and use it to keep my thread box and the chart legend on and on the other arm I have my large tray with the chart held in place by magnets. My magnifying lamp is floor standing so I can pull it down to just the right place when I'm stitching.
ImageImageImage
snavenasus

Return to General Chit Chat