Bout to Start my first HAED!!!

General chit chat forum

Bout to Start my first HAED!!!

Postby Steinbukken_ » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:44 am

Hi there! Im new here.
Im about to embark on my biggest cross stitch yet, i have only been cross stitching for about a year but im very ambitious.
I recently ordered the pattern for “A Peacock and Doves in a Garden” and i just have a few questions.

1. I have no idea what kind/size fabric to get. And everytime i try and put the stats into a fabric calculator its says its supposed to be huge. When the paper says like its not supposed to be that big.
2. I really wanted to look into a scroll frame but ive seen people use just a hoop. Which is kinda weird. But i just wanna know what would be better. And if a scroll frame IS better. Can someone point me in the right direction of a good one? I have a morgan lap stand at the moment.
3. Do i HAVE to do full cross stitches? Or could i just do half stitches? If i do half and i do 2x1 would it be better? Or would it be better if i just did a 1x1 full cross stitch?
4. Where is the cheapest place to get DMC floss?
5. What are some things you do to prepare for a big project?

Thank you so much!
Steinbukken_

Re: Bout to Start my first HAED!!!

Postby jayneb » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:57 am

good luck on your first HAED project.
I started mine last year , mine called for 25 count even weave but i switched to 18 count and bought the magic guide aida to help with the counting and keeping me on track.I was lucky and already had my threads but look on ebay as they are normally pretty cheap .
If the pattern calls for full stitches that is what you should do .
With the size of the material you need a 3 to 4 inch border for framing the piece as well so maybe that why is sounds so huge.
I have a round lap frame and use that for my big projects and just use hair grips keep the excess fabric from getting in my way .
These are only what i use, sure some of the members will be able to help you and point you in the right direction and welcome to the forum :)
“Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.”
jayneb

Postby jayneb » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:37 am

bump this to get past all the spammers
“Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.”
jayneb

Postby snavenasus » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:53 am

When I got my first haed chart I tried it on 25ct but didn't like it so switched to 18ct but now use 16ct as I prefer working on it. The sizes on the chart are for 25ct so naturally doing it on a smaller count it will work out considerably larger. I like to sit in my reclining chair and find I can manage quite comfortable using a seat stand with a 10" hoop. I am in the UK and get my threads from Lakeside needlecrafts as it's the cheapest at the moment, find Katzxstitch cheapest for fabric. You can so a haed however you want in either full cross stitch or half. I prefer full but lots of people work half and the pieces look just as good so long as you use more strands - do a sample on your chosen fabric to decide what looks best to your eyes but remember when you are stitching you are looking at it very close up, far closer than it will be viewed when framed and on the wall. Often people are worried that their stitching isn't as neat as it could be but it honestly looks fine from a bit of a distance. Above all enjoy it.
ImageImageImage
snavenasus

Postby Steinbukken_ » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:24 pm

Thank you guys so much!
And how do i bump this??
Steinbukken_

Postby Steinbukken_ » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:13 pm

Bump
Steinbukken_