Floss and bobbins

General chit chat forum

Floss and bobbins

Postby BWest0110 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:40 am

Hello everyone. My name is Brandy and I am new to both the forum and cross stitching.

I have started out with stamped pattern kits. I figured it would be easier to stitch amid constant distractions. So far, so good.

The first two kits I finished were fairly simple and consisted of less than sixteen colors. The floss is included and is organized on cards with holes punched along the edges. There are sixteen holes punched along one side of the cards. This is what gives the number sixteen it's significance.

I just started my third kit, and it consists of thirty-seven different colors of floss. I'm sure you know where I'm going with this.

Now, for the first time, I am having to find other ways to keep my floss from tangling. I did some research and decided on plastic bobbins. I label them in pencil, since I only have small amounts of precut floss, with both the corresponding pattern number and the DMC number value.

I hand wrapped the first ten colors before breaking down and getting a bobbin winder off Amazon. I am in the early stages of RA, so hand fatigue isn't something I should try to push through. Of course, the hand wrapped bobbins look so perfectly neat and pretty. The winded bobbins aren't near as perfect, because I don't have anything to anchor the winder with. It is easy to do with two hands, but I am too clumsy when trying to ensure the floss lines up perfectly. I decided to choose my battles.

Since I am working with kits, and there isn't a whole lot of leftover floss, I have yet to invest in storage boxes for the bobbins. The bobbins I ordered off Amazon came with rings to store used bobbins on. The OCD-like tendencies in me aren't crazy about this setup, but again, I am choosing my battles.

I can live with not-so-perfectly wound bobbins. I can even live with storage that reminds me of the god-awful assortment of keychains I had attached to my car keys back in the nineties. (At least I could easily find my keys at the bottom of my purse in the dark...) What I can't live with, however, is all that hard work coming unraveled so easily, because the little slits on the bobbins don't securely hold the ends of the floss.

It could easily be my choice of bobbins. The single DMC bobbin that came attached to the winder has much smaller slits. Neither brand of bobbin holds tightly to the ends of the floss.

Please help. I bow to the wisdom of my fellow forum members.

Is there a trick to keeping the ends secure? Are there specific brands of bobbins you recommend?

Is there a better alternative to the plastic bobbins? Are cardboard bobbins better?

Is the storage ring the culprit? Should I go ahead and invest in plastic boxes? If so, which boxes do you recommend?

What is the most cost-effective solution? I don't mind paying more as long as it is worth it. I just don't like blowing money, when a cheaper alternative is equal to the task.

To all of you, thank you for taking the time to read this. I truly appreciate you.

Brandy
"A morning without coffee is like... uhmm...something without something else."
BWest0110

Re: Floss and bobbins

Postby sindy » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:48 am

welcome to the forum.

I used cardboard bobbins for my anchor threads , if your threads are cut into lengths I would start by wrapping one length on hold the end on the bobbin and when you start winding cover up the first end at the same time when you get to the end of the length if there is more of the same colour hold the end like the first end now pick up the next length and start the winding the thread again covering up two ends. once you have wrap all the lengths you have the last end with be anchored by the little slit.

I storage my bobbins in plastic boxes which have been divided up into squares keeps them tidy can by these cheaply as in the UK wilko in the diy section is the best place to start, homebargins. I got mine from Amazon for nine pounds but they will last for ever.

dmc have plastic bobbins they are long and thin think they go into a binder other forum people might help with this

I hope this has helped you and I have explained it well.
sindy

Postby BWest0110 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:23 am

Thank you, Sindy. Yes, you explained everything clearly. Now, I know I am at least on the right track, as far as the actual winding of the floss onto the bobbins.

Maybe, I just chose a bad brand. Like I said earlier, the DMC bobbin's slits were much tighter than the bobbins I ordered. Their slits are nowhere near small enough to grip the end of the thread securely.

I got a hundred for little to nothing. You get what you pay for, I guess. When shopping online, all the plastic bobbins looked pretty much the same. It wasn't until using them, I realized not all bobbins are created equal.

Hopefully, someone knows of a specific brand of bobbins, or can share a link to the kind they use that are better designed.

Thank you for your help.

Brandy
"A morning without coffee is like... uhmm...something without something else."
BWest0110

Postby kbaywolf » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:47 am

Bobbins certainly vary in how effective the slits are at holding threads, I've definitely learnt that.
However I'm not sure I'd be looking to use bobbins in the situation you describe. Have you seen the Floss Away bags? They might work as an alternative.
Or perhaps consider the Pako thread organiser?
kbaywolf

Postby xstitchderdee » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:15 pm

I too use plastic bobbins and my bobbins have very "tight" slits in them so I don't really have a problem with the thread unravelling but I would also suggest using the floss away bags.
xstitchderdee

Return to General Chit Chat