Re: Help please...

General chit chat forum

Postby JacquiP » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:20 am

Hi

I am new to cross stitch (I last did some when I was a child) and was wondering if people could offer some help please. Do you work a mix of both completing each stitch as you go and working a series of half stitches along a row and then working back to complete the stitches? I have been looking at charts and it seems that, in order to ‘end up where you need to be’, a mix of both styles is necessary. How far do people carry their thread across the back of their work too?

If you were working the heart in the attached picture, would you carry your thread across from the top left to the top right of the heart or work it a different way?

In the Christmas Reindeer sampler attached, when working the white dots background, would it be ok to carry the thread from one to the other or should each one be worked with a new piece of thread?

I would be most appreciative of any help anyone could offer

Jacqui x
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JacquiP

Postby sindy » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:50 pm

I always work //// till the end of that code, colour then go back over them to do a full a cross stitch.

on the sampler the white snowflakes depends if they are one single thread rather than the two. me i would just carry on do each one at the same time, as changing the thread for each one would make it bulky on the back. it's up to you.

hope i have helped
sindy

Postby Danielle 31 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:40 pm

I would do the same as Sindy x
Danielle 31

Postby tubbsy24 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:53 pm

I do each full X at a time but it's a personal choice how you do them.
CAROL

Joined old forum April 12, 2003 (57590 posts)

Love means......never having to say you're sorry. .
tubbsy24

Postby frog1987 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:54 am

So with the way I stitch, with the heart I'd start bottom left do the / then the \ then move to the second row on the left do the / then the \ amd so on all the way to the top. It's all personal choice. We all do it differently. I find my worker neater if I do all one way first then go back over rather than full crosses. Also it generally uses less thread.
Cheryl

craftyblogger30.wordpress.com/
frog1987

Return to General Chit Chat