Turn your gorgeous Christmas sampler from The World of Cross Stitching, issue 183 into a fabulous cushion. This cushion has a flange edge, to make it extra special. The finish is much easier than in looks – just follow these simple steps.
- Onece you have completed the sampler, wash and press the stitching. Cut your stitched piece so that it measures 37.5x37.5cm (14¾x14¾in), making sure the design is central.
- Cut two pieces of backing fabric to 25x37.5cm (10x14¾in) for the envelope-opening back panel. Sew a double hem on one longer edge of each piece.
- With right sides facing, pin the long raw edge of one panel to the top edge of the stitched piece then do the same at the bottom, so that the two back pieces are overlapping each other.
- Stitch all the way around the edge with a 1cm (½in) seam. Trim the corners and turn the cover through, then press.
- Tack a line of stitching 3cm (1¼in) in from the edge to create the border. Machine stitch over the top, then remove the tacking stitches.